Mini Heart-Shaped Sweet Potato Base Pizza
Recipe By: Angelique from The Good Roots
Weekend braai’s will never be the same with these fun and healthy heart-shaped pizza bases. They’re not only gluten-free and paleo, but also vegan. Kids will go mad for these, so mama’s it’s time to get out the rolling pin and get creative.
- For a softer (not so crispy base) you can use only ½ cup almond flour, ½ cup coconut flour instead of 1 cup just almond flour.
- To make the base vegan you can substitute the egg with one flax egg & 6 Tbps water), but this will not have the same result in terms of crispiness.
- Base can be stored in the fridge for 2-3 days or frozen for 1 month. If you want to use a frozen base, first defrost in the oven for 10 minutes and then add all the ingredients before grilling.
- 2 cups sweet potato from roasted sweet potatoes
- 1 egg
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning or oregano
- Caramelised onions (1 sliced onion pan fried with coconut sugar and water)
- Balsamic vinegar
- Tomato puree
- Nutritional yeast
- Tahini & lemon juice dressing ( tahini mixed with juice of 1 lemon and water)
Roast sweet potatoes. I roast my sweet potatoes at 200 degrees Celsius for 1 hour, until they are very soft.
Once potatoes have cooled, scoop out the flesh, and measure out 2 cups of sweet potato puree. In a large mixing bowl, add sweet potatoes, and use a hand mixture to whip the sweet potatoes until they are smooth. Add the rest of the ingredients and use the hand mixer again to mix well.
Preheat oven to 180 degree Celsius
Line a baking tray with baking paper. Scoop “dough” in heaping 1/2 cups.
Wet your fingers, and lightly press down on the top of each mound. Cover 1 mound of dough with another piece of parchment, and then use a flat-bottomed smooth plate to press down until the sweet potato is about 2cm in diameter. Finally use the back of a spoon to form heart shapes. I like to use wet fingers to gently mold the edges of the crust, but this is optional. OR Scoop all the dough into a piping bag and pipe heart shaped pizza bases and smooth out with the back of a spoon.
Bake the crusts for 30 minutes.
Top the crusts with sauce, or other toppings, as desired. Return topped pizzas to the oven for 12-20 minutes, depending on how many toppings are added. A basic cheese pizza will bake in 12 minutes, but a pizza loaded with tons of veggies will take 20. For instructions on freezing and reheating pizzas, read notes in post above.