WILD THING Yoga Studio
WILD THING is a contemporary yoga studio situated in the heart of Sea Point, Cape Town, founded by Lexi Ryman and Dominique Vieira. They offer a variation of Vinyasa based yoga and body conditioning classes running from sunrise to sunset throughout the week.
After our insane trip to New York City last year, scouting out some pretty amazing fitness studios offering the latest fitness trends, we were dying for someone to create something similar back home! When we discovered WILD THING yoga studio, offering hip-hop yoga and a ‘don’t give rocks’ attitude, we couldn’t wait to see the space. These guys are creating a whole new approach to yoga by bringing back the fun, the sexiness and spunk… the way yoga should be (in our eyes). Keeping it fresh, hip and genuine – giving their international counterparts a run for their money!
This cool AF (as they would say) yoga studio is definitely on the to top of our list of favourite fitness spots in Cape Town. Why you may ask? Well, where do we begin?
- The vibe: no pretenses, no pressure or death stares from regular yogi’s if you accidentally mess up a move. It’s a great atmosphere and a happy place for people to come stretch it out, unwind and just flow.
- The teachers: all qualified yogi teachers are hand picked by the owners and reared into yogi gurus, but fear not, they won’t be oiling you up and shoving you into pretzel like positions – unless you really want them to!
- The view: we couldn’t stop admiring the views of the mountain! Yes you have a view… and there’s natural light! No smelly sweaty dark dungeon stuff here!
- The location: Just perfect – situated on the Sea Point strip, close enough to Jarryds for a quick cuppa or breakie after class (huge bonus), but perched high enough so you don’t hear the traffic down below.
- The studio: The space is clean, modern and beautifully done out. The changing rooms are newly renovated with lockers to keep your valuables safe. Showers are available which allows yogis to go from sweaty to office-ready in no time!
Lexi took our ‘Flow To Go’ class – a mindful 45min session to start off the week. The room was slightly heated using infrared heaters, which apparently warms up the body from within and not just the room. Benefits include increased calorie burn, improved skin tone and lower cortisol levels to name a few. The heat was pleasant and soothing compared to the stifling heat experienced in many hot yoga classes.
Some of the classes are hip-hop inspired, which is a nice change from the usual Enya enriched playlist. Don’t worry though, it’s not like you’ll be twerking, bumping and grinding in class! The occasional RnB tune will play, which is not too loud or overbearing, so you won’t struggle to focus, relax and unwind.
With their #FlowSoHard, cool AF attitude, these guys have made yoga a pleasure to practice!
They offer Broga – yes that’s right, yoga just for the boytjies! If Bauke can do it (owner and trainer from The Station, who’s size and strength is equivalent to a double decker bus) then we think your man will be just fine!