The Boytjie Burger
For all you boytjies out there, this burger will not only satisfy your manly appetite but will get you extra brownie points with the missus…so get your aprons on boys, and show off those cheeky buns!
Portobello burger with bean fries, pickles and yoghurt Aioli – Serves 2
- 2 x Big Portobello mushrooms
- 1/2 Ripe avocado
- A handful of fresh spinach
- 300g Minced beef (preferably extra lean for your mean machine)
- 2 x Pickles (sliced)
- *2 x Slices of whole grain bread toasted
- 2 Tbsp mayo
- 6 Tbsp Greek yoghurt
- 2 x Cloves of garlic
- Salt & pepper
Green bean fries:
- 300g Green beans
- 3-4 Tbsp oil
- 1 x Clove of garlic
- 1/2 Tsp fresh or dried rosemary
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 200 °C.
- Mix oil, with crushed garlic, chopped rosemary, salt and pepper. Rub the dressing into the Portobello mushrooms and on the green beans (if you use fresh beans, boil them for 5 minutes before going into the oven). Place everything on a baking tray and bake for about 15-20 min or until the mushies are tender and the beans are crispy.
- While the beans and Portobello mushies are in the oven you prepare the rest. Shape the meat into hamburgers. Fry in a pan with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- To make aioli – peel and crush the garlic and mix it with the mayo and Greek yoghurt. Season with salt and pepper.
- Once the bread is toasted, smear with a tbsp of Aioli and start stacking the beef patty, spinach, avocado slices, pickles and the baked Portobello mushrooms. Serve the burgers with bean fries and lots of aioli on the side. If you’re feeling naughty add a dash of tomato sauce to the mix.
* For all you Banting Boytjies out there, lose the bread and use the mushroom as the base of your burger instead.
Now give it a go boys!